Songbird is a sloop-rigged Bavaria 40 Ocean, built in 2000/2001 in Giebelstadt, Germany.
The centre-cockpit Ocean models were a bit of an oddity for Bavaria. Instead of packing as many berths (beds) as possible into a boat (typically up to 8 for a boat this size), they were designed to provide comfortable long distance cruising for up to four people. Much of the design and features bear a striking similarity to certain Hallberg-Rassy models of the time. The Ocean models were built in much smaller numbers and to a much higher standard, costing significantly more from new compared to the more widely known aft-cockpit "Cruiser" models.
The cockpit is ideal for short- or single-handed sailing, with the boom-end mainsheet directly behind the helm and the primary winches in easy reach too. Everything can be controlled from the secure and dry centre-cockpit, with a canvas sprayhood on top of the glass windscreen and an optional Bimini or cockpit-tent to suit weather conditions.
The cabin layout is ideal for 1-4 people living aboard whilst cruising: A huge central double bed in the aft-cabin, with another spacious double-cabin forward. On one side of the engine room is the head, with separate shower/wetlocker area. This has doors on both ends, so is accessible from the companionway for use underway as well as from the aft cabin when resting. The galley is on the opposite pass-through, with a large workspace, storage lockers, double sink, cooker/oven and enourmous top-access fridge with storage baskets. Between them is a spacious engine room offering excellent access to engine and saildrive as well as ample storage for tools and spares. Some owners have fitted a washing machine and/or generator in this area instead.
Glass-reinforced polyester covered in a thick layer of white gelcoat (with blue stripes). Airex foam core above the waterline and much of the deck. Kevlar reinforced bow. Embedded aluminium plates for bolting on winches, rope clutches, etc.
- LOA: 12.48 m (Hull without protrusions: 11.99 m)
- LWL: 10.95 m
- Beam: 3.99 m
- Draft: 2.0 m (2900 kg lead-antimony keel with stainless keel bolts)
- Water tanks: 380 Litre total (230 + 150)
- Diesel tank: 230 Litre
- Holding tank: 80 Litre
- Seacocks: 7x Tru-Design with load-bearing collars + 1 DZR on the saildrive.
- Rig: 7/8 fractional sloop with aft-swept spreaders, backstay tensioner and removable inner forestay with ratchet tensioner.
- Main sail: 33 m² Dimension Polyant 360AP, with short vertical battens (Sanders, 2016)
- Genoa: 41.4 m² Dimension Polyant 360AP, with foam luff (Sanders, 2015)
- Storm Staysail: smallish m², orange with piston hanks
- Winches: 2x Harken 44, 2x Harken 40, 2x Harken 32, all self-tailing & two-speed.
- Engine: Volvo Penta MD22L-B, 50 HP
- Volvo Saildrive 120S-E, three-bladed Volvo propeller, Ambassador Stripper rope cutter
- Ground Tackle: Rocna 25kg with 70m high-tensile (Grade 70) 8mm DIN chain, Guardian G-37 aluminium kedge
- Windlass: Lofrans Cayman (1000W), overhauled 2017
- 100m of 12mm Polysteel rope on a reel hanging under the solar panels as shoreline.
5x4x AGM Squadron Energy 130 Ah AGM130 "agmlonglife" 12V, Starter battery: Enersys SBS 30 VRLA 26 Ah
- Shorepower connector, Sterling Power charger, AC outlets in all cabins
- 100A Balmar alternator with MaxCharge smart multi-stage regulator, dual-sensing VSR.
- Custom stainless steel stern arch with 600 W high-voltage solar array, Victron MPPT charger and monitor
- LED lighting throughout, red/white in appropriate areas
- LED navigation lights, anchor light, tricolor, deck flood light
- 2000 W pure sine inverter with remote panel and AC selector switch
- Microwave oven with grill
- 12V sockets throughout